That's what Parker said when I attempted to stop swaddling him. We have had a ROUGH (putting it lightly) couple of days. It all started the night before New Years Eve. Parker had been waking only once in the middle of the night and then going right back down after he ate...however, on this night he woke up every 2 hours and would NOT go back down. All he wanted to do was be held. I would try not to pick him up and soothe him from his crib, let him just cry it out, but that did not work either. He kept kicking out of his swaddle so I thought, "oh oh...good time to stop the swaddle??" Not exactly...we attempted no swaddle for the next day during naps (we did sleep sacks), but every time i would put him down asleep, he would wake himself up by the "oh crap, I'm falling" reflex. But gosh darn it, i was bound and determined to break him of the swaddle. I switched to the swaddle blanket, you know, the one with the Velcro. I figured that it was a tad bit looser then my swaddling technique so maybe it would work as a good "transition". Again, HECK NO. The next 2 nights I averaged just about 3 hours of sleep total. FUN! So on Saturday, I bit the bullet. I went back to my old swaddle. I even took it a step further and gave him baby Tylenol before he went to bed. I know, I know...drugging your baby for no reason is BAD, but I really do think he was having a growth spurt and he was hurting AND if I did not get a good night of sleep I was going to turn into a very grouchy mom. Anyway...my plan worked. He slept from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m., then went back down at 5 and slept until 7. I woke up with out the "I've been at a slumber party" feel and had a great day on Sunday at Abbie's tea party (thanks for inviting me Abbie).
Soooooo, we are sticking with the swaddle for now. We'll try again in a month or so.
Hey Jana, I'm thinking the March ski trip would be a great time to try again. That way I have you and mom to help out :) GREAT IDEA!! (You can stop panicking...I'm totally joking. Ryan, Andy, and Dad would love that!)
Thanks for all the suggestions...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
You could try unswaddling on the ski trip...but only if all the girls are sleeping in a room together and the boys are sleeping in another room together:). That would be fine with us!
Wow mom...I just need to quit reading blogs for a while. I am getting a little nervous about the no sleep thing. I don't do 3 hours of sleep at night very well. Hmph. BTW - I LOVE the pic of him below....he's sooo cute!!!
Growth spurts.....I remember those fun nights so well!
Why stop the swaddling, if that helps him sleep better? We swaddled Dylan until she was 6 months. She just started getting out of her swaddle on her own and not waking up. I knew she was ready then.
Ahh- I have been out of blog world and you've been busy! P is SOOO cute! I love his perfect little feet. Glad to hear you got a great report. And...I'm so with you on the swaddle. I'm not giving it up until he's 1:)
Swaddles are miracles - let them last as long as it helps the little ones sleep. That was how I made it through... :) Katie gave up night-time swaddles around 2 months I think, but that child needed to be swaddled for naps for an embarrassing long time.
hehe love the swaddle!! You know KK started waking up more than once a night around 3 months after only waking up once a night for a month. Each night she would wake one more time till it was ridiculous. I could see that she couldn't put herself to sleep. It was then we did the let her cry it out routine. It took 3 days although that last night was easy, but the first two were misery!! So glad I did it, but hard on the mommy!! Let me know if you want to discuss more if he starts doing that!
Post a Comment