This past weekend was Mother's Day. It was my first official MD with my 2 boys. Last year, Cooper was a few days away from making his debut. What a difference a year makes. I have said it time and time again, but this year has been hard. I am physically and mentally exhausted a majority of the time, as are most parents. This MD, as I was sitting on the couch complaining (in my head, of course) about how tired I was and how I would give anything for a nap, I was hit with a very large dose of perspective...
A few months ago, a friend from high school suffered a terrible loss. His wife, who had battled brain cancer off and on, lost her battle. She left behind Justin and their 2 precious baby girls. Justin has started a blog and he did a post on MD to show how they chose to spend the day. They did not choose to be sad and sit around the house...they chose to start a tradition that will give the girls something to honor their mommy by each passing MD. You can read about their day HERE .
As I was reading his blog, it hit me. My boys were able to wake up and crawl into bed with me. My boys were able to "give me a present". They were able to hug me, kiss me, climb on me, and tackle me all day. And although this day did not go off without a few small disasters, fights, injuries, tears...I was there. I was overwhelmed with guilt for the complaining and feeling sorry for myself I had been doing all day. I was also filled with anger and sadness when I thought about what had had to happen for this perspective to set in.
It is not fair that a great man and 2 beautiful girls lost their wife and mom, but I can tell you this...they are using this tragedy for the good of God. The lives that Cara's story has touched are immeasurable. I only met Cara once, and for a short second, but yet here I am blogging about what she and her family taught me. No matter how bad your day is, no matter how tired you are, how much you want to strangle your kids some days...you are together...So suck it up, put on your big girl panties, and thank God for your little terrors, because they are YOUR little terrors and at the end of the day, you get to kiss them goodnight and wake up to a new day.
Happy Mother's Day to all the great mommies!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Amen! Thanks for that Erin. :)
Thanks for posting this Erin! So proud to be his friend! Happy Mother's Day to you!
A very good lesson on perspective Ebes! Loved being with you and your precious family last weekend. Happy to have been with you a bit on Mother's Day too!!
Post a Comment